No, this isn’t an excuse to show off my new acquisition aka my dream-bag of several months now (thanks mom!) – today, I’m here to talk about staple items. The stuff you can never leave home without.
I’m the kind of girl who changes bags all the time. Out of all the bags I own, there’s about three – now four – that I go back and forth between. That would be a caramel Miu Miu satchel (for shopping sprees, tiny and handy), my big black Alexander McQueen tote (my life fits in there), a black Givenchy Antigona (ditto, except this one comes with a long love story attached, lung-emptying sighs and loving strokes that make me seem like a weirdo in public) and now a nude Givenchy Nightingale bag (the passionate love affair going on behind the Antigona’s back).
The chosen one (cue epic music) will vary according to several factors – the purpose of the day, how long I’m going to be out, if the laptop is going or not, and, of course, what I’m wearing. I used to take ages to switch things from one bag to another in the morning and something always got left behind (needless to say I’m the queen of losing things or leaving them somewhere), but recently this has… well, not ceased, but definitely doesn’t happen as often.
I suppose that over time I’ve assembled a small collection of staple items. Some of you probably have a make-up bag (which is the clean and neat way to do it and I should follow in your footsteps), but I have everything scattered in the little side-pouch of whatever bag I’m using – yes, that tiny zippered pocket.
- Laura Mercier Almond & Coconut Hand Cream (small and smells wonderful
- Jo Malone Pomegranate Noir cologne (the 30ml version, as I said in another post, is the perfect size to carry around with you all day)
- NARS lipgloss in Orgasm (looks good with whatever insane colour of eyeshadow you’re wearing)
- SUGAR lip treatment balm (best lip balm I’ve ever used, even my dad bought one; sadly I can’t find it here, but in the US they’re available in a variety of flavours)
- Laura Mercier Mineral Pressed Powder in Real Sand (I have an oily T-zone and it’s perfect for touch-ups, but should be used with a sponge since it makes a huge mess with a brush)
- Mulberry wallet (beaten, bruised and not even a year old yet – also, does not go in the side pocket or said side pocket would explode pretty quickly)
- Alexander McQueen cardholder (for business cards, you never know!)
- iPod classic and headphones (don’t we all)
- Campo Marzio pen (it’s heavy, writes wonderfully and is an absolutely gorgeous pearly-white as you can see in the picture)
Not included on the list are ridiculously obvious things like my cell phone and a bottle of water – and if you don’t carry a bottle of water around with you, shame on you! It’s important to drink water and stay hydrated and no, Coke Zero isn’t a proper substitute (well, not for the whole day at least). There’s usually also a cereal bar or two in there, or there should be, but as I said before I’m rather forgetful and end up getting them from the machine at University, and if I’m wearing a particular shade of lipstick that day that I know will wear off, I take it with me for the day. There’s also a chance of me carrying my tiny little Kobo ebook reader around to catch up on my Lovecraft when I have a break, but I usually leave it on my bedside table, especially since it’s so hard to read from that stupid screen (no backlight and not a very good book selection).
15″ Apple Macbook and charger on schooldays. I refuse to get a laptop bag, I’m sorry. I have my girly-girl dignity to watch over, and I’d rather be uncomfortable and have to carry the laptop under my arm in a crowded bus (but with the Nightingale and the McQueen tote it’s not usually a problem).
So (since I’m trying to be interactive now) this is when I ask you if you have any staple items that you always carry around and, if so, give me a list! I was always that girl in school that asked to rummage through everyone’s bags to see what they carry around, so I guess this is the online version of that. Bare your souls to me… or, well, open up your bags. It’s pretty much the same thing.